Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ka-Pow!

I loved all the input last week about the new Sammy Keyes title. Some of the suggestions were really good. I just wish they fit with the story! The word that still goes best with the story--or theme--is "Power"--it just doesn't sound as good as some of the other words.

Mark's sick to death of me talking about it -- a first, by the way. He's usually patient and will continue to think until the skinny lady sings, but after literally months of this he's done. And who can blame him?

I did hear back from Nancy...something along the lines of "I give up! You can have Power!" I think that may have to do with how the word goes well with the preliminary art sketch. Justice Jack dominates the center of the cover and instead of the usual diagonal or straight-edged icon sections, Jack's in a jagged KA-POW! type segment. Pretty cool! 

But rather than take her concession and run with it, I told her I was still thinking about it.

And I have been.

Only now I'm distracted by having started on Sammy 16.

This is totally unfair, isn't it? Night of Skulls hasn't even come out yet, I've been talking for months about Justice Jack, and now I'm starting on...do you trust me with a title?

You shouldn't.

But Mark's calling it Sammy Keyes and the Wayward Parents.

Just so you know.

I actually think it's a funny title, although I'm stickin' with Sammy 16 for now (or Sammy Next-to-Next-to-Last), but the point is, the developing story has sort of usurped my mental chugging regarding Sammy Keyes and the Whatever of Justice Jack.

So it'll probably be Power.

Unless I have a bolt of inspiration. Maybe in the middle of the night. Or, if I get sick, while my fever is breaking like what happened when I was pregnant and wanting to name our baby Jagger. But that's another story. And unfortunately for the title, I don't expect to be running a fever in the coming week. If a bolt strikes from elsewhere, however, I'll be sure to let you know!

Meanwhile I just want to say that I had a blast reading (and considering) each suggestion made. What a great group!

See you next week!  

14 comments:

Kingsly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kingsly said...

what about "sammy keyes and the effect of justice jack"?

Millers said...

Hmmm... let's still try to help a bit.
How about the strike of justice jack?

g said...

thats great! :) sammy keyes and the wayward parents :)

Anonymous said...

What about "Sammy Keyes and the beginning of Justic Jack"?Hopefully that helped or gave ideas.Great post(:

Norma said...

Sammy Keyes and the Wayward Parents? Is it her parents? When do we find out who her dad is? Wow, hey at least you've won the battle against Nancy. Now you can figure out how to swing the title.

frances said...

Sammy Keyes and the Wayward Parents?
AAAAHHH!!!
Sorry 'bout that, but it sounds good.

I start school tomorrow and I'm going into seventh grade. Junior High...? Really? just kidding, but I can't wait for Sammy Keyes and the Night of Skulls.

Anonymous said...

i like power, but i still hope you are considering "the rise of justice jack", which was my suggestion last post!! :D
i also really like millers suggestion of "the strike"!!!!!
<33
julie
PS i always get so sad when i think that the end of sammy keyes is 4 books away :( do you get sad too? or is it more of a im glad i did it but its time for it to end sad?
PSS i never knew people thought sammy was a blonde- she NEVER seemed like a blonde to me and also i thought it always said she has brown hair anyway?!

Optimistic4ever said...

I know you'll come through with a title. As strange as it sounds, I like the word aura. I don't know, it has a cool spelling.

Gosh, can't wait for Sammy 16! You mentioned we'd learn about her dad in this book a while back, right?

Anyways, good luck with the title!

Alexa said...

Wow, I am so sorry I haven't commented in a long time! To tell you the truth, my life has been SO crazy and I forgot :(. But I'm here now! haha

OOOOh, title dilemmas! What fun! Kinda funny since my Mom was having the same issue a couple weeks ago and now she's using the title I came up with (score one for me!) and everybody loves it :D! But since I don't know too much about Sammy Keyes and the _____ of Justice Jack this might be a bit hard.....but let me think here. Sammy Keyes and the Mayhem of Just Jack? No..... Sammy Keyes and the Madness of Justice Jack? Nah....um.... it's on the tip of my tongue! uh........um............. Sammy Keyes and the Adventures of Justice Jack? No, too long. um.....gah, i don't know. sorry, i can't be of much help!

see ya next post! -Lexa
PS Sorry again for disappearing off the face of the earth (lol) for a couple weeks!

bookworm said...

Wendelin,
i thought about going all Shakespearey on this comment, but i don't have the patience for it right now. :D (i have soooo gotten used to auto-correct: i'm not sue if i spelled patience correctly.......eek!)
Can you please please pretty please with a big cherry on top that says PLEASE on it put another excerpt for SK14 on your blog? PLEASE???????????????
(it could be an early birthday present...... my birthday is coming up in a few short days! :D)

Anyway, have a great week! :)

Hi My Name is Mia said...

I'm gonna take a shot and try to help you out.
Sammy Keyes and the:
•Virtue of Justice Jack
•Dawn of Justice Jack
•Craze of Justice Jack
•Era of Justice Jack
•Bloom of Justice Jack

Raisa Karim said...

I can never post an any interesting comments here. But I'm glad youre settling on Power. You never know, huh?

frances said...

Wendelin, I agree with Bookworm. Please put up another excerpt.