Thursday, April 5, 2007

Changing My Mindset

I love being around positive people. It just lifts my whole being. I had a strategy session with a good friend of mine yesterday, during which I confessed to feeling overwhelmed by this fundraiser. She gave me some great advice: "You've got to give people the opportunity to help you." I'm so bad at that. I come from a family of do-it-yourselfers. Mark's family is like that, too. Our mindset is, if we can do it, we should do it. Also, we just don't want to impose. But what my friend pointed out to me is that people will want to help with this fundraiser if I give them the opportunity; that I've got to change my thinking from 'I'm asking for your help' to 'I'm offering you the opportunity to help.' Then she took out a pad of paper and made a list of all the things she was going to do to help. They were things I wouldn't have dreamed to ask for.

No comments: