Sunday, January 16, 2011

Why Else Would A Whippet Be Risky?

Today marks the end of the first week of The Running Dream tour.
Half done!
Well, if you count Atlanta, which was sort of a non-start.
Now, just because it's Sunday doesn't mean I got the day off. Not only were there official engagements, I don't seem to know how to give myself time off.
I was very disciplined this morning and worked on Sammy 15 (working title today, which may change tomorrow because that's how working titles are: SK&the Slingshot Vigilante). Then I had a well-attended event at St. Charles, MO public library (about 45 minutes by car away) where a wide range of ages and types showed up to hear me speak. There were boys with Shredderman books, college girls with Sammy Keyes (I love that they're still reading Sammy!) and everything in between. The parents asked lots of questions, too, and several of them told me afterwards how glad they are that I write edgy books that resonate with their teens "without resorting to crass content."
Amputated legs, yes.
Sex and cussing, no.
A very minor--make that extremely minor--segment of my slide show touches on "Fun Stuff" and includes a picture of our band. Then I give away a Risky Whippet EP to someone who "does not like Justin Bieber" (because anyone who likes Justin Bieber would hate Risky Whippet).
Giving away stuff for free is always fun, but what's been really surprising to me is how one little EP can generate so much interest from a room full of teens. How'd you get on iTunes? Do you really play? Does your son have a girlfriend? Does your dog pee in your house?
Huh?
Well...why is he risky?
Anyway, tonight I'm actually forcing myself to do something that's not book related.
I'm going to the movies.
Now, if the movie house were across the highway, I wouldn't do it, but it's right downstairs inside the hotel. I've never seen anything like it. For two days I've been going down the elevator and along a looooong tile hallway past the front of the glassed-in theater lobby to the front hotel lobby and out to my transportation, but tonight I'm going to go down the elevator and stop at the theater to see The Fighter (the only Golden Globe best picture nominee I haven't seen).
I realize this is not a big deal to probably any of you, but to me?
Not exactly risky, but definitely radical.
Maybe I'll even buy some popcorn.

10 comments:

g said...

Sounds tiring!!!!
But seems like your making good progress! TTYL =]
-TIM/ginngle11

bookworm said...

I'm watching flipped for the 3rd time as I type this.... Amazing movie, wendelin! My mom loved it too! I was amazed at how well it went along wth the book! I can't believe you met the cast! I'm at the part with the basket boys in juli's perspective and when eddie was bid on by her. Gotta go!

Unknown said...

I finally read SK&tWC. I think it was one of the best mysteries in the series (and not just because I managed to solve it before Sammy). The clues were subtle. The suspect list was long. The motives were puzzling. And yet if you paid attention to opportunity, the pieces fell into place like an upside-down jigsaw puzzle. Very well done.

We still have a little ice left in Atlanta, but I've finally managed to get out of the house. I hope you enjoyed the movie.

Lucy said...

I read The Running Dream and it was AMAZING. Truth be told, I sorta cried in some parts. My sister loves running so I figured I'd tell her about your book. Did I mention that it is was AMAZING?

Anonymous said...

hihi!!! i just saw flipped for the first time yesterday and it was SOOOOOOOO ah-mazing!!!!! it was exactly like the book and bryce was INSANELY cute :D:D:D (dont worry, we're both 15!!! {i looked it up :D})
im glad your tour is getting better as you go...we dont want you stuck in Atlanta!!! i havent gotten a hold on Running Dream yet, but im going to get it soon!!!! i really cannot wait for it, it sounds like a great book!
have fun watching your movie!!!
<3julie<3
btw, your blog makes me laugh and totally makes my day :)

Anonymous said...

hihi!!! i just saw flipped for the first time yesterday and it was SOOOOOOOO ah-mazing!!!!! it was exactly like the book and bryce was INSANELY cute :D:D:D (dont worry, we're both 15!!! {i looked it up :D})
im glad your tour is getting better as you go...we dont want you stuck in Atlanta!!! i havent gotten a hold on Running Dream yet, but im going to get it soon!!!! i really cannot wait for it, it sounds like a great book!
have fun watching your movie!!!
<3julie<3
btw, your blog makes me laugh and totally makes my day :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You're telling me there was music involved? Now I'm really sad that I missed out.

Todd Lucas

Wendelin Van Draanen said...

Everybody: Thank you! Sorry it's taken me so long to write back!

Beach: "like an upsidedown jigsaw puzzle" -- I like that! And I'm glad you liked WC!!

Lucy: THANK YOU! (A strange coincidence that your name is Lucy, too. I love that name. I'm sorry I made her tragic in the book.)

Anonymous said...

Do you have a clue wen you may be coming to Alabama?I don't own a books of yours but i'll buy one just for the signing!



Thanks,
AbaGayle