Sunday, April 2, 2017

Happy Birthday, Sammy!

I am getting ready for next week's trip to New York, so this will be a short post, but I did want to point out one very important thing:

Thursday (4/6) will be Sammy Keyes's birthday!

How old this year?

Well, I'd say she's turning "thirteen all over again," but if you're a Sammy fan you already know that she has managed to (finally) put that number behind her. We think.

I hope you'll take a moment during your day on Thursday to wish Sammy a happy birthday in whatever form suits you. Take a shortcut. Ride a skateboard. Wear high-tops. Boycott fuzzy pink sweaters. Maybe even mix up some mac'n'cheese'n'salsa. (It is, in fact, god-like.)

If you want to post or send me pictures, I would love that.

And please know that I'm grateful for this community, where I'm not alone in thinking Sammy's birthday should be celebrated.

See you soon!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, I just realized I missed this weekend's post and read it with an hour to spare... which isn't really enough time to do Sammy's birthday justice (jack). I did have some mac and cheese and salsa last Friday, and I unpacked my extra pair of Sammy keys shoelaces last night....

And today I made a mini-mystery for a girl I was babysitting for (a treasure map leading to a spot where I was able to hide the snack-treasure while she wasn't looking)...

So Happy Birthday, Sammy! And thank you, Wendelin, for giving life to such a wonderful character. I hope you had fun celebrating Sammy's birthday in the most fitting way: accepting an award for your skill bringing believable, lovable, human characters to life. Congrats again! And now I know how I'll celebrate the rest of Sammy's birthday: watching the livestream of your acceptance speech!

Michelle Tuyub said...

Happy birthday sammy! You really are someone to be celebrated !

Shaina said...

Best of luck in NY! And happy birthday to Sammy! If I was any good at baking, I would have made a cake in her honor. Instead I ate a Snickers ice cream bar, which is in the spirit of a Double Dynamo I guess, so that counts as a celebration!

Wendelin Van Draanen said...

I had an unexpected surprise in NYC on Sammy's b-day...the new books arrived on Nancy's desk! I will share in a post soon!!

Kylie said...

Wow I know this is late but for Sammy's birthday I tried to embrace the spirit of her. I tried to live a day like she would. I recently moved to a new town and have been exploring it little by little, but I made an effort on Thursday to walk around town and explore places I hadn't with Sammy Keyes' confidence. I also made homemade mac-n-cheese and while I did not have salsa I did throw a bunch of hot sauce on it. I really enjoyed my Sammy Keyes day and I think I am going to try to do this on her birthday each year to celebrate the literary character that has had the biggest influence on me!

Wendelin Van Draanen said...

Kylie - Living a day like Sammy could be kinda dangerous! :-) I agree with you about Sammy's b-day. I hereby declare April 6th to be Mac'n'Cheese'n'Salsa day!

essay best said...

Happy Birthday to Sammy, good to see that you are cherishing her 13th Birthday. Loved the post, thanks for sharing it with us